Putting a C-6 in my 89 notch.....help me. South Georgia Hotrods
The Local Area's Home for Gearheads!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Putting a C-6 in my 89 notch.....help me.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Putting a C-6 in my 89 notch.....help me. Reply with quote

What all will be involved in doing this? is now has an AOD in it and i wanna put a C-6 in it. I know i need a new converter and ill probably have to do something with the driveshaft. What else? Have you ever done it? Can u help me?
pocket3799
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done. A C4 is lighter, personally I'd just build up the AOD, that's what I did. Then you will still have overdrive.

Why a C6??

Jeff
1969 Falcon
1971 Maverick project
1984 LX 5.0 Convertible
1/8 et:10.188 @ 68.06 60 ft:2.189
1/4 et:16.025 @ 84.31
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i say a c-6 cause my buddy has one i can get for cheap from him. The AOD has wire hookups that goes to it and all, and im not running the efi and computer so its not working at all. If i put it in drive it starts in second gear and doesnt shift into third at all. If im moving in second gear and pull it down into first it will go down into first then i can shift it into second but still no third. Im tired of messing with it and the c-6 seems like an easy way to get rid of my problem...but now im kinda thinking about going T-5...whatcha think?
Mike~84LX
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap it to the T5 before the C-6. C6's are heavy tannies and will rob a few HP to turn. Really wouldn't matter if you are making 500-600 hp though. I would either do a C4 or the T5 before the C6 or rebuild the AOD and run a full manual VB so you won't have to worry about adjusting the TV cable.

92 LX in the works-** For Sale**
93 Limited Edition chrome yellow vert
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you on that one. I would love the T-5 but it isnt an easy swap and id have to buy some parts...lol I may just do the AOD with the manual valve body, then id have to manual shift it?? or not? About how much does it cost to build the AOD with the manual valve body? $500-600? I already have everything to use the aod so that will save alot too....HMM IM STUCK....I NEED TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE AOD BUILUP FIRST THING.
capri man
My teeth are my own, I have the receipt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call richard godley at 229-985-1981.
Mike~84LX
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the TV cable attatched and adjusted?? If not thats what killed your AOD. The wires don't have nothing to do with the actual operation of the AOD. They are for reverse lights, neutral saftey switch and stuff like that. 94 is when AOD-E's were used in the mustang, which was electronically controlled.

A good valve body will run about $350. Well worth it though. Won't have to do the 1-D-1 shuffle with it, and OD will be on a switch. With a full manual VB there is no TV cable and have to up & down shift. With a manual/auto VB you can run it in either manual mode or just slap it in drive and cruise. And with either VB OD is on a swtich.

A bench build would be cheaper if you don't mind pulling the tranny out. I would say a good bench build would run around $400. But don't quote me,, I never had one done, I bought the book and learned to build mine myself.

If funds don't permit a VB definatley get a shift kit, and make sure your TV cable is adjusted correctly so the new AOD will live.

dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mike, I have pretty much thrown the AOD idea out the window, due to KNOW ONE AROUND HERE having anything to do with them. Plus if i spend $350 on the Valve body and mor efor a shift kit, and possibly more if i have messed the AOD up by running it with the TV cable unhooked, i would be WAY better off putting a C-6 or T-5 in it and calling it a day.

I do not care that the C-6 is heavy, and also im not gonna have a crap load of power so i realy dont need a C-4. Im considering the C-6 mainly because my friend has one that i can egt for cheap that has already been built.

The T-5...OHH THE T-5!!! I want it soo badly, HOWEVER..... I would need to get these items.....
1.) T-5 trans
2.) clutch fork
3.) quadrant & cable
4.) Clutch
5.) driveshaft
6.) Flywheel
7.) Install the pedal assembly(which i have in a 4 cyl parts car i have)

I like the C-6 idea also because i drive a stick now and i would enjoy laying back and laying ON the throttle.

What do YOU think?
Mike~84LX
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the C6 is ready and you want to keep cost down, I agree C6 would be the way to go. That way you can use the AOD flexplate.

If you get the VB you won't need a shift kit. But if you ran with the TV unhooked, thats what definatley killed the AOD... That burns them up and it will have to be rebuilt..

dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help guys, Ive learned alot about the auto trans world.

I have pretty much decided to go with the C-6, i think it will work well for my purposes and i can always put a T-5 in it later, cause i think we all know that how your supposed to drive a mustang. Thumbleft

I think the parts ill need are:

1.) mount made to fit
2.) converter
3.) starter?
4.) driveshaft length changed
5.) new lines( the ones on the AOD are SHIT)
6.) AFTERMARKET SHIFTER
7. ) OH YEAH..BUYING THE C-6

I think thats it.....lets see thats about HMMMMMM.......$600 or better.....probably WAYYYYYYYYY MORE ACTUALLY
ITSAV6
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Keep the AOD! Reply with quote

Come ride in my Grey car. Built with red clutches,Baumann shift kit,and an Edge 9.5 converter. You can buy a linkage kit for the TV cable on the carb. I pull 2.0 60ft on radials and 2.73 gears.
http://www.becontrols.com/products/aodcat.htm

You can buy a used 4R70W from a 99 up V6 for around $200 and put a manual v body in that Thumbright
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY DOUG, I may need to ride in that car....lol

GUESS WHAT>>>AS MANY OF YOU KNOW...IM VERY WISHY WASHY... I MAY HAVE CHANGED MY MIND TO GO WITH A T-5 JUST TO SIMPLIFY IT ALL. MAN I LOVE DRIVING A STICK
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY DOUG, I may need to ride in that car....lol

GUESS WHAT>>>AS MANY OF YOU KNOW...IM VERY WISHY WASHY... I MAY HAVE CHANGED MY MIND TO GO WITH A T-5 JUST TO SIMPLIFY IT ALL. MAN I LOVE DRIVING A STICK

WHAT PARTS, IF ANY, DO YOU GUYS HAVE THAT ILL NEED? ANYONE GOT A T-5 LAYING AROUND? PLEASE..LOL
ITSAV6
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: ????????? Reply with quote

You still got my #?
Mike~84LX
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww man,, you definatley need to ride in a well built AOD car. You will definatley have a different opinion.. Salute I swapped from a Tremec to and built AOD..

I would hold on to the burnt up AOD. Save little here & little there and get parts for it and have it built. In the mean time run the C6 to save on cost..

Thats right you can run the 4r70w, manual VB. They are tougher in stock form that the AOD. Allot of the built AOD's use 4r70w parts. Have to change the tail shaft and/or input shaft or converter. If you run a 4r70w converter you can get lock on a swtich with OD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: