Ford engine swap question... South Georgia Hotrods
The Local Area's Home for Gearheads!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Ford engine swap question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Ford engine swap question... Reply with quote

I have a '94 Club Wagon with a 5.8L/auto (I think there is only one automatic available for E150 Club wagons in 94). The engine runs great, but only pulls about 13-14mpg. I'd like to swap in a 4.6L. Here are my questions:

1. Is this a direct swap? Motor mounts, trans mounts, drive shaft length?

2. Will my existing trans from the 5.8L bolt up to a 4.6L truck engine?

3. If the answers to 1 & 2 are "NO", can you tell me the differences, or where I can find them?

4. What are the differences between a 4.6L car engine and truck engine, besides the oil pan and exhaust manifolds?

5. As I understand it, both the 4.6L and the 5.8L truck engines put out approximately 200hp I'm hoping for about 18mpg. Is this realistic?

6. Finally, if I do decide to do this, is anyone in the market for a good 5.8L (351) Ford Engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
pocket3799
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I do not believe it will swap.

You'll need engine, tranny, wiring harness and puter for the 4.6. Driveshaft will need to be worked. New mounts, exhaust wil be needed, K-member might have to be replaced also.

5.0/5.8 have a different bolt pattern/diameter than the 4.6/5.4, tranny will not bolt up.

What do you use the van for? DD, towing, work??

Jeff
1969 Falcon
1971 Maverick project
1984 LX 5.0 Convertible
1/8 et:10.188 @ 68.06 60 ft:2.189
1/4 et:16.025 @ 84.31
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocket3799 wrote:
I'm not sure, but I do not believe it will swap.

You'll need engine, tranny, wiring harness and puter for the 4.6. Driveshaft will need to be worked. New mounts, exhaust wil be needed, K-member might have to be replaced also.

5.0/5.8 have a different bolt pattern/diameter than the 4.6/5.4, tranny will not bolt up.

What do you use the van for? DD, towing, work??

Thanks, That gives me some idea at pricing, too. The van is just a people mover. I bought it back in 94 in lieu of a minivan. I wanted a V8 and rwd. It's a Chateau, and in 94 was about $34000.

It's got 135,000 miles on it now, and has been just a super vehicle. I was thinking of keeping it as a spare vehicle. You know, like when my truck or my wifes car is in the shop...
The mileage is killing my wallet though. It cost's about $400 dollars a month for gas. Sometimes more!
My crown vic had a 4.6, and on the interstate I could pull 26-28mpg with it. I figure I should be able to get 18 from a 406 in a van, if the cost of the swap isn't prohibitive.
pocket3799
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost would be prohibitve unless you had a complete 4.6 truck as a parts bin.

Maybe drop a 302 (5.0) in.

Jeff
1969 Falcon
1971 Maverick project
1984 LX 5.0 Convertible
1/8 et:10.188 @ 68.06 60 ft:2.189
1/4 et:16.025 @ 84.31
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank
VP Red (105 octane)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about a 302, but I'm told mileage is about the same as the 351... At least that's what the guy at Riverside Ford in Macon, told me. I don't know that to be true, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: