about to do a 2.3 efi to carbed 302 swap... South Georgia Hotrods
The Local Area's Home for Gearheads!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

about to do a 2.3 efi to carbed 302 swap...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: about to do a 2.3 efi to carbed 302 swap... Reply with quote

what are the major obsticles??
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to carb, not bad, going EFI will involve a new computer, fuel pump, and EFI wiring harness. One watchout is the exhaust. Some of the earlier 4-bangers brake lines were run a bit weird on the rear, and unless you run exhaust dumps before the axle, you'll need to do some modifications.

Going T5? You'll need a 5.0 bellhousing and pilot bushing to use a 4cyl T5. The input shaft is about an 1/8 inch longer on them, but will work.

4 cyl auto trans won't work, but the driveshaft will as long as it is not from the A4LD. Tachometer will puke, use an aftermarket one.

Fuel lines are different.

There are a few differences in wiring on the 87 in regards to wiring versus other years.

Hope my feeble mind isn't forgetting something. Getting older is a bitch!
pocket3799
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a double hump tranny crossmember, too

Jeff
1969 Falcon
1971 Maverick project
1984 LX 5.0 Convertible
1/8 et:10.188 @ 68.06 60 ft:2.189
1/4 et:16.025 @ 84.31
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dedge
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: thanks... Reply with quote

ok thanks guys...i already have a double hump cross member,it came on my car already! and i am going to get a bellhousing and the pilot bearing. the exhaust will be dumps ....and as of right now ima still go carbed...hey...if i do efi do i have to change out dash wiring? or just the motor harness ,ecu, and headlight harness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: