Update on my car since sgs fell South Georgia Hotrods
The Local Area's Home for Gearheads!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Update on my car since sgs fell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saybye
Mid-Grade (89 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Update on my car since sgs fell Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you guys remember me, I was the one always talkin about those damn turbo's. So.....Me and JRB built a kit from the ground up to go on my 97. I am getting some air in my cooling system right this minute so I don't have any times or dyno numbers until I get the new motor (aluminum block, 17cc pistons, forged crank and rods) finished. I put cometics on the old motor, but I didn't resurface anything and apparently mls gaskets don't go well with rough deck surfaces. But, here is a link for those of you interested, itsav6 knows bout them turbo's!

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=50196.0
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi saybye. Yeah, the MLS take a very smooth finish to seal. I have seen a couple get lucky, but, for the most part not. Cometic seems even tickier than Felpro. Looking forward to hearing about the times you get out of this.
saybye
Mid-Grade (89 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cometic is a badass gasket, but you definitely have to have a very nice mating surface in order to get proper seal out of them. Boost seems to find leaks, I didn't have any probs with the nos. I was pretty pissed to find the gaskets were leaking, but then I really thought about it. My heads had been on three different blocks with no resurfacing and the deck of the block I used had some minor scratches on top of it from the boring bar. This next motor will have perfect block and head surfaces before it is assembled. I don't think I will have any probs using a mls gasket after that. I have heard the cometics are reusable, but I am skeptical. These 4.6's are such a bitch to get the heads off (especially with the head studs I have) that I may just go with new mls gaskets. How is the fel pro mls? I would think that being fel pro has more gasket experience there's may be better. I may try them out.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used the Felpro but a few times, but with good results. The cometic however is tried and true. Have re-used MLS head gaskets quite a bit. Big blocks with a roots chargers and several SBC, BBC, and SBF engines with anywhere from 1 to 3 stages of spray. The BBF with a roots I am going to start on shortly has re-used them too.
saybye
Mid-Grade (89 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may re-use these then, but a person on the modular boards said that the original 4.6 cometics had a defect that has been corrected by cometic. I don't exactly know for sure what he is referring to, but mine are an old set. I am undecided on the head gasket situation right now, I'll save that for later.
redsn95
C12 (108 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used composite gaskets on mine but i was never intending to put boost on it, but i did and I know I seen 12 pounds other nite at 5000 so we'll see how long b4 she pops. t
www.southernfords.com
saybye
Mid-Grade (89 octane)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably had a little better head surface than I did, mine was rough!
Plus I have 10.5:1 compression with 8 psi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South Georgia Hotrods Forum Index -> Blue Oval Boulevard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: